Friday 3 May 2013

Finding the way....

I'm useless at navigating. With a map I'm fine, I can even triangulate bearings and follow compass bearings but without them I'm hopeless.

So I have a map of the Way of the Roses and it has mile markers on it so from the mileage on the bike I should be able to tell where we are.....but it has very little detail on it and I'm not relying on it.

I have bought a GPS.

Not only have I got the route for the Way of the Roses on it, I can plot my own routes to follow and hopefully stay more off the main roads. We have some lovely lanes in Cheshire to explore but they can be a bit of a rabbit warren and at least I now have confidence thatI can find my way around.

So armed with my new toy and no route planned I set off to explore. I had the vague idea that I would head to Alderley Edge and head off into the lanes and just see where I ended up :) I would never have done that without my little unit nestling in my back pocket! And so I pedalled, and pedalled. At no great pace but it was a beautiful day and I was taking in my surroundings.

I saw rabbits, hawks, swallows, red painted doors, ducks and duck ponds, red pillar boxes in chocolate box villages. Mums out with children, farmers in fields, other cyclists out enjoying the same sights, sounds and smells....The birds were singing. The city link driver who stopped briefly to say hello.....and I found myself in Plumley. Stopped at the garden centre for lunch before setting off back home. And I took a different route back through the lanes. I had no idea where I was or where I was heading but it was gorgeous and I didn't care :) So I waited till I got to the next junction and consulted my gadget....it told me where I was and from the on board map I knew where I had to go, follow the compass bearing and back on track with no difficulty at all.

Now I'm going to try out some routes so I have found out how to create my own gpx routes to follow and my little gadget should keep me on course :)

And if I get a bit lost, no matter, I'll enjoy it anyway :)


No comments:

Post a Comment